Saturday 19 June 2010

Location, Location, Location

Location is everything.

Legotown started off at my Gran & Grandpa's house, where I spent most of my weekends when growing up. I had fantastic grandparents but unfortunately neither are wih us any longer. They allowed me to stop with them from Friday tea-time until Sunday afternoon every weekend and so when I started getting into Lego and building up my town, I decided to locate it at their house away from my younger brother (sorry, bro) whom I feared would smash it all up.

Each weekend I would set up the town in their front-room, having carefully put it away in sections in a variety of Tupperware and used ice cream & Margerine tubs. Looking back, they were more than fantastic as they must have out up with the continuous scraping nise as I sifted through boxes of bricks to find the exact piece I required. I suppose Grandpa had a distinct advantage as he was deaf and culd not hear without the help of a hearing aid.

I kept my lego at Gran & Grandpa's house for years and it was there where Legotown really grew and grew.

When I eventually began to reduce the amount of time I spent at their house as I discovered going out, drinking beer (not yet Tyskie) and females I decided it was unfair to clutter their house with my collection any more and took it back home (mum and dad's house). Conditions there weren't ideal as I shared a room with my younger brother who I could now trust with my prozed collection and he also has an interest in Lego himself. We tried various ways to lay the town out but It took over our entire room and wasn't at all practical.

Aftr meeting my then future wife ('Her Indoors') and we moved into our house which she already owned. Being only a small house I decided to put a decent floor down in the loft and relocated Legotown up there. This was OK, but as the loft was accessed through a small hatch in the landing roof I rarely could be bothered going up there. The collection also seemed to attract a lot of dust up there and so a better location was needed.

I eventually persuaded 'Her Indoors' to let me buy quite a large shed which I would site in the back garden which would become the new permenant home for Legotown. Realistically this is the only place it has been suitably located since the 'good old days' at Gran & Grandpa's and the new location has renewed my interest in the hobby. As I said, location is everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment